Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Rocco's Tacos

 Rocco's Tacos is the hip new joint on Las Olas. We arrived around 6:00 pm to a 45minute wait and a few patron hanging around the door waiting for their turn. They took our phone number and called us when our table was ready. 

We were seated at what I thought was probably one of the worst tables in the entire place- right outside the door to the patio.  It didn't end up being that bad though since there were doors down the length of the patio which allowed the servers a door to each table basically.
 Rocco's extensive drink MENUS- on the back of their dinner menu is the regular drink menu, plus an additional menu with, not a wine list (which they also have) but  tequila list. We ordered the "special" Don Julio Margarita pitcher-$24.  Let me just say they were the most ineffective 3, yes, I drank 3, margaritas I've ever had. I think it might have just been limeade.
 THE chips were seasoned! You can't really tell by the picture, but they are.  And I LOVE the concept of this. I've had some really delicious seasoned chips. If you like a smokey chipotle flavor you'll enjoy these.
 3 salsas assortment with chips- $6.  The dark one at the top is pretty thick and has a pungent smokey chipotle flavor that goes nicely with the chips. To the left is what I would call their "original" salsa. Now, I am a lover of chips and salsa, this did nothing to rock my world, it was less than average. Not terrible, but I wouldn't feel compelled to even order it again... and it's a Mexican restaurant. What are you if you don't have a delicious salsa?  And for you fruity freaks out there, the pineapple salsa. Each one had, what I think is, their signature smokey chipotle flavor to it.
 I ordered the Yucatan, which is 2 carne asada soft tacos (meat and cheese only for my picky self) and a chicken enchilada.  $16 It was edible. It tasted fine. It just wasn't AMAZING. And, call me a cheapo, but at any other Mexican restaurant I usually get beans and rice with my meal- no not here- that would be and extra $6. BOO!

So the score so far is $6 for the bla salsa trio and $6 for the standard sides and nothing is anything to write home about.
 Brad ordered the Molcajete Seafood $22.  This is their version of fajitas- served in their "lava rock bowl." What you're looking at is: shrimp, scallops, mahi, pablano chilies, clabaza squash, and charred tomatoes. The presentation is pretty cool. But like me, Bradley wasn't completely blown away by the yumminess.
 All the fixin's
 Brad's culinary masterpiece
 The atmosphere here is what you come for- and pay for. There are all sorts of cool light fixtures, art pieces hanging off the walls- very hip and cooooooooooool.  I will say that if you are going there to spend quality time with someone- you might want to reconsider.  The music is very loud and the tables are large (to accomadate the pitcher of margaritas, glasses, guacamole lava bowl, dinner plate and paraphernalia) so it's difficult to maintain any semblance of a meaningful conversation- and we were outside on the patio.
 CHURROS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, these were very tasty.  4 made to order, cinnamon sugary, hot, crispy, ala mode with chocolate and caramel drizzle- YUM! I had 3. Brad had 1. Who's the fatty in your relationship?
 This is their out door decor- pretty fun. I'm not really sure what they are but they look sweet in the trees over their parking lot. $5 for valet.

After visiting Rocco's Tacos I had decided that I had done my curious duty of trying the place but didn't need to return- AND THEN my friend Megan informed me that we had ordered ALL the WRONG items. Apparently you need to just keep it simple and order- THE TACOS.... makes sense. She also informed me that the Mojitos are where it's at.  So, after my next visit, when we go with Megan and her hubby Brent in tow- I will give you an updated review.  I can be proved wrong.

Grand total (check, not including parking or tip): $77.33
And with that I bid you farewell :O)

Rocco's Tacos
1313 E. Las Olas Blvd. 
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
954-524-9554
2 other locations in SOFLA + another coming sooooooooooon. 
Check the website: Rocco's Tacos   (If you're at work, turn your speakers down, or everyone will know you're SLACKIN')

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the 'at work' heads up....I love Las Olas and as a former Ft. Lauderdalian I am now homesick...mojiotos are a trend I have wanted to jump on board with, but have never had the courage to explore extensively....can't wait to hear about the next trip!

    ReplyDelete